Friday, August 13, 2010

"Mother Tongue" Question Responses

1. I have never heard this expression before, but if I were to give it a meaning, it would be the language that you learned while being reared. However, in this essay, it seems to mean how her mother uses the English language.
2. Using dialogue enables the readers to clearly imagine how her mother used English. "So mad he lie to me, losing me money", is one of my favorite lines. She may not be very proficient with the English language, but she knows exactly how to get her point across.
3. They judged her as ignorant, because she could not speak the language as well as they could. These judgments were mostly intentional. They were probably raised to look down on people with intellectual shortcomings. It is the same way that average people make fun of how rappers or hillbillies talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment