Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Can Always Be Replaced

How can this be fair? I understand that as the business grows, more is expected of a supervisor. However, when it comes to my yearly raise, the economy is used as an excuse, never mind the flourishing business. Minimum wage is catching up to me, but more and more is asked of me. If I only get a 2% raise, does that mean I only have to put forth 2% more effort forth? Better yet, if that 2% does not cover the inflation of the cost of living in this area, does that mean that I can put forth less effort? The answer is no? I guess a superb work ethic is needed no matter what my reward is. I guess I have to expand on all the tasks I perform, just to keep my job.

First and most important of all, I have to keep all the customers of this business happy. That is basic customer service. "Customer service is key", I hear. Happy customers are returning customers. Also, customers are what keep me in a job, right? How do I keep them happy when it is recommended that I leave personal issues at home, and not bring them to work? I guess I just have to develop my acting skills. I never took a drama class. I have never aspired to participate in performing arts. However, I have to learn it for job, if I want to keep it. "Make sure the customer returns." That is a nice statement for a successful business, but I have a more appropriate one: "Make sure the customer returns, at any cost to you." Bending over backwards, enduring verbal abuse, never getting upset, and withstanding all the emotional stress that goes with it is just part of the job description for any pay grade. I deal with it to keep my job.

It does not stop at the customers. As a supervisor, I must ensure that the employees are happy too? What? After having them endure the emotional onslaught that is customer service, I have to bend even more to ensure that they keep smiles on their faces. I am a sociable guy, and do not find it hard to encourage a good work ethic. Therefore, I accept the task. However, the business hires people of the stubborn and antisocial nature. This makes my job that much more difficult. It is expected, so I obey to keep my job.

Now that everyone is happy, the business is happy right? No, I have many other duties to perform. These duties are essential to making the business a success. One duty is the business's stock inventory. Stock inventory is all the items for sale to the customers. After ensuring that the business has enough of every item, I have to rally the troops to place the stock in all the proper places. There is so much stock. No one person could ever do it alone. If this stock is not handled properly, it could be detrimental to the business, and nobody wants that! So, I exert more effort to ensure the business is not harmed, and I keep my job.

Lastly, since everyone is happy and the inventory is available to the customers, I am handed the task of dealing with the businesses money. I must provide the best security when dealing with the business's money. Every protocol must be followed, because it is what is expected. If any money is missing, I have to find who is responsible. If I do not, then I will be held accountable. All money must be under lock and key, and logs of all the money's movement should be thoroughly kept. If I do not follow this, I could lose my job. I fall in line to keep my job.

After all is said and done, I must conform to the business. I have to put forth more effort than I think I can. I have to follow the rules, even if they change. Complaining is unacceptable from a supervisor, because there is always someone to replace me. I do not make much, so offering someone a ten cent raise is an easy way to fill my spot. This is only fair, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment